Monday, April 23, 2007

Have you read your 25 books?

So, here's the front side of my bookcard. Yours should look a little like this, with subtotals at the end of each quarter. It's time for me to turn in the names of students who have read 25, 50, 100 books or more to the district so they can send you a certificate.

If you're hoping to read 25 books by the end of the year, I'm not checking bookcards for a grade yet. Remember that to get full credit, you must include the date you finished it, the title and author, and the number of pages in the book. You should also be able to discuss the any books on your card and I should have seen you bringing it to class at some point. (Summer reading does count though.) This is just a small grade--just one of the eighth grade standards. So, be honest and fair on your card. However, I want you to get credit for everything you read so get them updated. Soon, we'll figure out how much we've read all together.

Just for the record, I've read 16 actual books so far but my book equivalent total is 30.5 books. To get your total, add all your page numbers and divide by 150. Our district counts every 150 pages of text as a book. How many have you read?